Monday, October 25, 2010

It's a Baby Shower!

Last week I flew to Spokane for a few days to throw my good friend, Christina (previously Nevers) Scribner, a baby shower with my mom.  For those of you that have heard about all my travel fiascos in the last two years, it should come as no surprise that once again I had flying issues.  Now I HATE flying. Hate it!  So after my plane had already been in the air for 45 minutes and the captain came on to say we had to return to Phoenix because some little light came on, I was not a happy camper.  We had to change planes in Phoenix and do the whole trip over again.  US Airways you are on the naughty list this year!

My first full day home was filled doing fun errands with my mom.  Nordstrom. Pottery Barn. Lunch (at Brooklyn Deli, one of my favorites in Spokane...the tomato parmesan soup is to die for). Costco. JoAnn Fabric. Grocery Store.  And then a little pampering (haircut & pedicure).  My mom is too good to me.  The fun continued when my Dad decided to take my mom and I out to dinner since the next 24 hours was going to consist of lots of cooking for the shower.  We went to South Perry Pizza for dinner.  I love how the Perry district is beginning to expand and becoming a popular neighborhood again.  The place was packed and we ran into lots family friends.  It appears to be a new south hill favorite.  This restaurant is a great addition and everyone should check it out!  And the added bonus is that it's owned by a Spokane native and LC alum.

Later that night my mom and stayed up late, donning aprons from Grandma, cooking for the shower, drinking wine, & chatting til late into the night  On the menu for the shower: turkey lasanga, apple-blue cheese-bacon salad, garlic bread, and apple crisp.  Since we both love to cook, my mom and I decided to make everything for the shower ourselves...cooking for 25 people was quite the undertaking.  So much fun though and the finished products were worth it.  That night and half of the next day, the kitchen was a disaster and the oven constantly running.  Two quick (actual) showers later, we were ready for the guests to arrive!

The party was a huge success!  I'm pretty sure all the food was a big hit, and the wine definitely was as these ladies were tossing back plenty of it!  Seeing Teeny and her adorable belly were the best part.  She is such a dear friend to me, and one of the most gracious women I know.  She will be the best mommy!  Watching her open up her gifts was so much fun and filled with many "oohs and ahhs."  Oh the onesies, blankets, and little booties.  The whole evening got me in a little bit of a baby mode..........but........that's still a little ways off....

Here are the invitations.  I found the template online and then personalized and printed them myself.  After planning a wedding, I can do anything!

We did not make these, but adorable nonetheless.  The onesie cookies are all decorated differently and were made by a lady named Sally.  The bootie mints are from Spokandy.

Here is the mommy-to-be and her belly!


The rest of my trip I got to relax with family & friends.  My best friend, Amanda, came into town for the shower so I got to spend lots of time with her.  We haven't lived in the same city for over 6 years, so I try to get in as much Amanda time as possible when she's around.  We went to the P.I.  one night, and I have to stay I was deeply disappointed.  It's just not the same dive bar that I used to love before it became trendy again.  I will not be spotted there in the future and definiteley not during the holiday season.  So sorry P.I. but you changed.

The rest of my weekend I spent at my parent's cabin in Spirit Lake.  I could not have asked for any better Autumn days!  It was completely sunny with a light breeze and crisp air.  Finally I could wear one of my beloved scarves!  I helped my parents harvest their vegetable garden.  There were so many delcious tomatoes waiting to be picked before the first freeze.  Also lots of onions, zucchini, and sugar pumpkins!

I got lots of family time in while I was home which is so important to me.  My brothers own a business together and are always very busy.  I try to see them as much as I can.  Ryan joined us for dinner at my parents house twice, and I got to see Jon at The Elk before I flew back to Phoenix.  The fall weather was practically begging me to have a hard cider, and The Elk is one of the few places in Spokane that can offer me it on draft.

A fabulous trip!  I go back in early November for my birthday.  I'm hoping my next visit will include snow...

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I loved reading this and re-living the FABULOUS baby shower! You are the best!
    -Teeny

    ReplyDelete